After reading all these reviews, it's hard to add anything new, but I want anyone still considering (or worse, actually using!) to quickly move on.
I started on Freelancer.Com after they bought vWorker. As I already had a good reputation, I didn't go research Freelancer.Com (that's probably why Freelancer.Com MUST keep buying new victims). I have made several thousand USD and have some good clients, but Freelancer.Com has still scammed me. Once I got to the point I was fed up with them, I found this site. Here are some points, almost all of them echoed by the other comments, except for the first. I haven't seen this point mentioned yet:
1. Completion Rate: The completion rate is calcuated by total number of projects SENT TO YOU (not accepted, just sent to you) divided by the completed. Yes, I had someone trash my Completion Rate because he kept sending me a job and I wouldn't accept it until he had all the requirements for me to start! (He wasn't trying to be malicious and didn't even know this was happening... why would he??)
2. I was awarded $2000 projects from a client but he never responded. Of course, I wasn't foolish enough to accept because he lacked project details, but I couldn't figure out the reason for someone to do this. Either it was to make the compition loose money and maybe leave or ?? (Of course, it also didn't help my completion rate.) There is something very wrong with Freelancer.Com to set up their system this way.
3. I've completed projects for clients, been paid by the clients, received 5 Star rating had the money deposited to my account. All good. A few weeks later when I go to make my first withdrawal, oh guess what? There are problems with the CLIENT FUNDS. I don't even find out until the money is missing from my PayPal account. I eventually find out from Freelancer.Com support that there is an issue with the client funds and that I should contact them for payment. Um, EXCUSE ME FREELANCER.COM - WHAT IS THE POINT OF YOU AGAIN?? The thing is, I was talking to the client and he even sent me the pictures he had to take with his ID and other information. Turns out, Freelancer.Com charged his CC over $3000 for $150 project! (His laywer was taking over the situation.)
4. I've been awarded projects, had milestone payments deposited, did the work and had the client cancel. Everything gone EXCEPT my fee - of courese, I still had to pay that fee. No Refunds. No Exceptions.
5. I've had milestone payments created, delivered the work to the client and requested the milestone to be released. Client acknowledges I did almost 70% of the project but wants me to finish it before he pays me. I say no, pay me the 50% milestone first. It goes to arbitration. I lose. Why??
I sitll have a 5 Star rating on Freelancer.Com, though I'm sure they'll cancel my account if they can figure out my username. Everything above I can support from my own experience.
If you don't trust the reviews you've read here, then come back and post your own WHEN you get scammed by Freelancer.Com. (I expect scammers to use any website they can. I don't expect to be scammed by the website operators directly!)