With extreme hesitation due to mixed reviews, I recently used Greentoe and made a ridiculously low offer on a Sony 70-200 2.8 GM II ($2200) thinking, "There's no way any authorized retailer would accept that offer."
Not surprisingly, after two days, I received a counteroffer for $2399. I didn't respond and let it sit, waiting for the offer to expire.
The day before my initial offer expired, I received notice that my offer of $2200 was accepted! I was shocked.
Before submitting payment, I emailed Greentoe customer service, asking for reassurance and re-confirmation of what they advertise:
- Merchandise will be sold by USA-authorized Sony dealer and covered by Sony USA manufacturer warranty.
- Items being sold are brand new, unopened
- The merchant accepting the offer actually has the item in stock and is ready to ship (I asked this after reading many reviews that some retailers delayed shipment for several weeks/months before finally either admitting the item was out-of-stock, issuing a refund, or having the customers' CC company do a chargeback).
I asked Greentoe customer service to confirm the above, stating that I would immediately ask for a refund if this transaction didn't pass the "smell test".
- I also stated if this deal was good, I would make sure to share my good experience with dealing with Greentoe in as many forums as possible (hence, the reason I'm writing this review on Trustpilot).
- Conversely, if this deal went bad, I would make sure to share my bad experience on the same platforms. In addition, I would consider filing a small claims suit if I didn't get my money back.
Greentoe customer service ("Jeff") assured me of all of the above, even stating that they would issue a refund if the retailer didn't ship out the item by end-of-day after I made payment.
I ended up taking a chance and paid the merchant through Paypal.
Surprisingly, the very next day, I received a UPS shipment notification.
UPS delivered the lens about a week after my order was completed.
Well, all I can say is that GREENTOE HAS EARNED MY BUSINESS AND I HIGHLY RECOMMEND GIVING THEM A TRY!
My lens arrived today, it was well-packaged. More importantly, it was clearly brand new and included came with USA Warranty card. I immediately registered the lens at Sony USA without any issues.
Wow, I still can't believe I was able to get this lens (70-200 2.8 OSS II) brand new for only $2,200 - which includes shipping AND tax!!!! That is less than what I could have purchased a new gray market lens and about what I could likely purchase an excellent condition USED lens for.
If you're on the fence with Greentoe, give them a try. And make sure you ask for confirmation from Greentoe's customer service (i.e., seller has the item IN STOCK AND READY TO SHIP, etc.), as I did before pulling the trigger. You won't regret it!
Now, if you're in a rush and need the item quickly, not sure if this is the place I would use but if you're looking for a fantastic deal, give them a try.
(I have no connection whatsoever to Greentoe and am sharing my own experience - your experience may vary).